30 Ways To Stay Positive At Work
We spend the majority of our day at work and sometimes, that can be a drag. Day in and day out, doing the same thing and seeing the same people. It can be hard to stay motivated, let alone keep a positive attitude. But staying positive will improve your productivity and help you maintain a solid work ethic. Here are just a few ways you can stay positive at work.
1. Keep learning! Staying on top of what’s new in your field will keep you energized.
2. Teach others what you know.
3. Volunteer. Giving back to your community helps you appreciate your life and job.
4. Don’t let petty co-workers get to you.
5. Take breaks. Every hour, take a quick trip to the water cooler or do a lap around the office.
6. Don’t space out in front of the computer all day long. See above.
7. As much as possible, try to leave work at work. Give yourself time to really unwind when you get home.
8. Eat light. Stay away from heavy meals that will make you feel sluggish and tired as the day wears on.
9. Focus on building relationships with your coworkers, your superiors and inferiors.
10.Take a vacation. Recharge your batteries and unplug, even if only for a weekend.
11. Join an organization related to your line of work. Surrounding yourself with likeminded people energized about their career will help you feel more positive about your job.
12. Join an organizationÂ notÂ related to your line of work. Diversify your interests and networking groups.
13. Change up your look once in a while. Dress up in a casual office or take it down a notch if you’re usually in a three-piece suit. The minor change might change your attitude a little bit, even if only for a few hours.
14. Participate in after-work activities. Get to a happy hour or other after-work outing. That doesn’t happen at your office? Consider scheduling something. Maybe a softball game?
15. Act, don’t reacte, to negative criticism. Â Don’t let yourself fly off the handle and act purely on an emotional reaction.
16. Give yourself uninterrupted time to work. Even working without distraction for brief periods of time, think 20 minutes or so, you’ll find yourself more focused and able to get more accomplished. This in turn will keep you feeling motivated.
17. Make your workspace a nice environment. Decorate it with family photos or your favorite sports team memorabilia. You spend the majority of your day in this space so get yourself some nice office supplies and some creature comforts. You’ll be amazed at what a difference that makes to your mood.
18. Don’t forget to breath, especially when dealing with difficult people or situations.
19. Volunteer to spearhead a project at work.
20. Work with another department or on a project outside of your comfort zone. Challenge yourself!
21. Get to work early, even just 15 minute, to get yourself organized and your day started.
22. On Fridays, clear off your desk and prepare it for an easy Monday morning.
23.Â Get some exercise. You may not have time to hit the gym during lunch but make sure that exercise is a regular part of your daily life.
24. Get a massage or a mani/pedi on your lunch break. I’m talking to the guys as well. A little TLC goes a long way.
25. Get enough sleep at night.
26. Manage conflict with consideration. Be the bigger man or woman and don’t escalate unnecessarily.
27. Introduce yourself to people you don’t know. Even if they’ve worked with you for years, take the initiative and say “hello.”
28. Don’t beat yourself up over mistakes. Learn from them and take action to move on.
29. Smile. Even faking one for a few minutes a day can actually make you feel better!
30. As much as possible, surround yourself with positive people. Refuse to allow negative energy into your life. Remember,Â youÂ are in control.