13 Powerful And Inspirational Quotes From Will Smith
Anyone who grew up in the ’90s still probably thinks of him as the goofy and lovable hooligan from The Fresh Prince. Now 45, Will Smith is married with two talented children. He’s left behind his rough-and-tumble ways, and now he’s an unexpected source of inspiration. Here are some of Will Smith’s most inspirational quotes.
1. “Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”
This is his way of saying you can do anything you put your mind to. Realistic expectations lead to accomplishments that have already been done before. Lofty ambitions can lead to so much more. Skip to 5:47 in the video to hear the quote.
2. “Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.”
Don’t stoop to someone else’s level, and don’t let other people bring you down.
3. “The first step is you have to say that you can.”
Believing in yourself is the first step to accomplishing any goal. If you think you’re going to fail, you probably will.
4. “Love is the ultimate theme, but it’s not just for women.”
Put aside the chick flicks and love is still relevant, in stories and in life. Love should always come first.
5. “Money and success don’t change people; they merely amplify what is already there.”
Will Smith disagrees with those studies that say having money changes people. If people act differently once they get rich, that’s only because they’re finally showing their true selves.
6. “We spend money that we do not have, on things we do not need, to impress people who do not care.”
Spend money on what’s important, like putting it toward your goals. Don’t try to keep up with the Joneses just because you’re expected to. Spend and save wisely.
7. “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions.”
Only you can let yourself feel a certain way. Decide you want to be happy and successful, and ignore everyone trying to spoil your mood or ambitions.
8. “Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others.”
Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others.
— Will Smith (@WilII_Smith) August 5, 2012
You’re not the only one struggling. You’re not the only person having trouble, now or ever. Things will get better, and in the meantime, you’re in good company.
9. “Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. The right people – the ones who really belong in your life – will come to you. And stay.”
Surround yourself with good influences, and let go of any people holding you back. The people in your life should build you up, help you and believe in you.
10. “There are so many people who have lived and died before you. You will never have a new problem; you’re not going to ever have a new problem. Somebody wrote the answer down in a book somewhere.”
Whatever you’re feeling, you’re never alone. Other people have had your same experiences, and you can learn from them. You just need to find out where that information is and let their experiences serve as a guide.
11. “The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel, who have dreams, who want to do things. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft.”
People may start out talented, but no one starts with skill. Being skilled is something you have to earn through practice, time and dedication. You can become great at anything you want to be great at.
12. “Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they are going to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.”
Follow your dreams, and forget the people who aren’t cheering you on.
13. “If you’re not making someone else’s life better, than you are wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other people’s lives better.”
Make the world a better place and you’ll make your life better too. Be selfless.