Who Is David Karp? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Tumblr Founder
David Karp had been called one of the richest Internet entrepreneurs before he sold Tumblr to Yahoo for $1.1 billion. At just 26-years-old, his net worth is now estimated to be about $220 million. But who is he? Wall Street Insanity has compiled the following list of everything you ever wanted to know about the newest Internet millionaire:
- The son of a television composer and a teacher, Karp is a New York City native.
- He began learning teaching himself HTML and designing Web sites for local businesses at age 11.
- Karp attended high school at Bronx Science just one year before dropping out to be homeschooled at age 15.
- He never earned his high-school diploma.
- Karp began an internship for animation producer Fred Seibert of Frederation Studios at 14, then went to work as a software consultant for UrbanBaby at 16.
- He spent five months in Japan at the age of 17 and considered making robots before deciding to be an entrepreneur.
- Karp left UrbanBaby and began working on Tumblr in 2006 when he was 20 years old. The site launched in 2007.
- He lives in a refurbished 1,700-square-foot Brooklyn apartment with his girlfriend, chef Rachel Eakley.
- Karp was named one of the top 35 innovators under age 35 by the MIT Technology Review in 2010.
- He rides around New York on a Vespa.
- Karp’s favorite television show is “The Colbert Report.”
- He owns a French-English bulldog mix named Clark.
- He doesn’t set his alarm clock on the weekends, but rarely sleeps past 9 a.m.
- Karp was named to Forbes’ 2013 “30 Under 30” list.